- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Sound Smart at a Party – February ’14
If you have access to Google, you have a timer. Type “timer for fifteen minutes” in the search bar and, lo and behold, Google will set off a beeping noise that sounds like an oven timer after the allotted time expires. The limit seems to be the 24-hour mark, but if that’s something you’ve decided you really need, set it for 23:59 and voila!
Do you reach for coffee grounds described as “Dark Roast,” assuming that the deeper the brown color, the more caffeinated you’ll feel as a result? Do you believe that dark roast coffee will erase a poor night’s sleep and boost your energy levels to colossal heights? Hate to break it to you, but you’ve been doing it wrong. Dark-roasted coffee has been roasted longer, so while the flavor might be deeper and more robust, some of its potent caffeine is left in the roaster! Blonde roast coffee has more caffeine, but—also contrary to popular belief—not necessarily more fun.
What do you get when you cross residents of a city who both doubt the accuracy of the Bible and report the lowest frequency of Bible reading? The most Godless city in America! According to a study by the American Bible Society, Providence, R.I., and New Bedford, Mass., are the two least “Bible-minded” cities in the United States. You might think that New York (or at least Wall Street) would rank as its own Sodom or Gomorrah, but NYC didn’t even rank in the top 10. Or bottom 10, actually.
Breaking news on the cereal front: It turns out that the corresponding fruit flavors coinciding with the different colors in Kellogg’s Froot Loops are not what they seem. The yellow is not lemon. The purple is not grape. They are all, in fact, the same exact flavor. Bummer.
That’s the number of deaths in the winter Olympics since 1924. Two lugers and two downhill skiers perished in practice runs.Do you think Edgar Allen Poe knew that a pack of ravens is called a “conspiracy” and an “unkindness”? Nevermore.