- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Central Islip Woman Killed Infant, Cops Say
A 26-year-old Central Islip woman has been arrested for killing her newborn baby and dumping the victim’s remains in the trash this week, Suffolk County police said.
Santos Elena Ruiz Solano gave birth to a girl at 3 a.m. Sunday at a house on Shoal Drive in West Islip, where she was employed as a live-in housekeeper, police said.
The baby suffered traumatic injuries shortly after her birth and died at the scene, according to Homicide Squad detectives. The suspect allegedly placed the baby in a plastic bag and left the home, police said.
Ruiz Solano went to a nearby hospital for treatment of complications of child birth.
Authorities said the infant’s body was recovered from a nearby garbage can and given to hospital personnel, who called police.
Ruiz Solano was charged with second-degree murder. She will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Central Islip.