- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Dog Thrown from Moving Vehicle in Mastic Beach
Suffolk County SPCA investigators are asking for the public’s help in finding the suspect wanted for throwing a dog from the window of a moving truck in Mastic Beach on Wednesday night.
A witness reported seeing 3-to-4-year-old male pit bull mix thrown from the driver’s side window of a dark-colored 4-door pickup truck near the Mastic Beach Post Office at 9 p.m., officials said.
After the dog hit the ground, it turned and ran back toward the truck, the witness reportedly told authorities. When the witness stopped to see if the dog was okay, it jumped into the witnesses’ vehicle, according to the SPCA.
Roy Gross, chief of the Suffolk SPCA, said dog may have been used as a bait dog in dogfighting but was friendly.
The dog, which was wearing a black collar and is housebroken, is under the care of a veterinarian for treatment of head trauma and scars on its face.
The Suffolk County SPCA is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the act of animal cruelty.
Anyone with information can contact the Suffolk County SPCA at 631-382-7722. All calls will be kept confidential.