- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Valley Stream Music Teacher Charged With Rape of Teen Girl
A guitar teacher from Valley Stream has been arrested for the statutory rape of an underage teen girl after Nassau County police said they learned about the two-year sexual relationship.
Yoel Gonzalez, 27, was charged Thursday with third-degree rape and criminal sexual act.
Police said Gonzalez was 24 years old when he initiated a sexual relationship with the then-15-year-old girl in 2011, two years after they first met when she was 13 and taking lessons from Gonzalez when he worked at Bracco Music Center.
The two began to socialize outside of the music shop and Gonzalez continued to tutor the victim privately in her home after he no longer worked at the shop, police said.
Authorities began investigating Gonzalez after “information regarding their relationship surfaced,” police said in a news release.
Gonzalez will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Special Victims Squad detectives ask any other possible victims of the suspect to call them at 516-573-4022.