For nearly 70 years, Alure Home Improvements has been helping Long Islanders make their dream homes a reality. Sol Hyman began this family business as a paint company in 1946 to fulfill the housing needs of World War II veterans, like himself, who wanted to enjoy the fruits of prosperity in peacetime after the sacrifices they and their comrades had made.
Once Sol’s sons Carl and Bob Hyman had joined the company in the 1970s, they expanded their services beyond painting and wallpapering to include “pressure washing and steam carpet cleaning.”
Then they noticed that their clients’ homes would also benefit from new window treatments, carpeting, flooring, draperies and other interior decoration. By the end of the decade, Alure was the first “deco-center” on Long Island, providing decorator services as well as paint and wallpaper selections.
Next, they turned their attention to the exteriors of their customers’ homes, with new siding, windows and roofing. By the end of 1980s Alure had recreated itself with a new business model focused on all aspects of home improvement. Its growth took off, and today Alure’s annual revenues total many millions of dollars.
ABC’s Emmy Award-winning Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has featured Alure’s projects eight times. Alure began its association with the show in 2004, renovating an apartment for two New York firefighters in a 12-hour marathon. In 2010, the show selected the Lutz family in East Setauket, where hundreds of volunteers worked around the clock for a week to rebuild the home for this needy family with several adopted children with Down Syndrome.
Sal Ferro is president and CEO of Alure Home Improvements, the 10th largest home remodeling company in the country. He joined Alure in 1988 as an assistant production manager, proving through his hard work, dedication and loyalty that he could be counted on no matter what the task at hand. A year later he was production manager, and within a decade he’d become part owner. After 9/11 he was running the company and keeping the team inspired while helping customers stay positive about the times ahead. His interests range far and wide in his devotion to improving the community and making our world a better place.
Alure’s Dedication to Those in Need
Alure is a supporter of the Salvation Army, the March of Dimes, Habitat for Humanity, the Interfaith Nutrition Network, the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts, to name a few charitable organizations. Not too long ago, Ferro put on skates to join New York Islanders legends Clark Gillies, Bobby Nystrom, Billy Guerin and Pat LaFontaine in a charity hockey game to benefit The Sarah Grace Foundation and The Frank J. Rizzo V Memorial Scholarship Fund.
“It’s his heart that makes Sal so special,” said Gillies afterwards.
For his lifelong social commitment and professional prowess, Ferro recently was inducted into the Long Island Press Power List Hall of Fame—a humbling experience, Ferro admitted.
“My goals have never been about power or influence,” he said at the time. “They have been about making a difference and taking pride in doing the right thing for the right reason.”
Meticulous attention to detail, skilled craftsmanship and committed customer service are key reasons why Alure has earned a distinctive reputation as one of the best remodelers in the industry. People come first at Alure because Sal Ferro, president and CEO, knows that happy employees lead to satisfied customers. That’s why Alure have a profit-sharing plan, ensuring that everyone working at the company has a vested interest in its continued success, as well as ensuring that turnover remains surprisingly low.
Alure’s team brings a dedication to their job that is hard to equal elsewhere. They are experienced, fully licensed and insured, trained professionals are ready to assist in every facet of the project, no matter what the job or what the vision. They know what they’re doing, they like what they do, and they want to make sure their customers feel good when the job is done. Word of mouth says a lot about a business—and the word on the streets of Long Island is that an Alure home project is hard to beat.
Alure’s Specialties and Areas of Expertise
- Kitchens, bathrooms, basements, siding, windows, roofing, sunrooms, new construction, home extensions, garage conversions, handyman home services, dormers, modular construction and going green with energy efficiency and advanced insulation.
- Alure’s headquarters in Plainview has 35,000 square feet of office and warehouse space—enabling it to improve customer service operations while maintaining a large inventory of products for its many impressive projects.
The Long Island Showroom
- Alure’s Long Island Showroom is open seven days a week, located on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow—a mile east of the Meadowbrook Parkway and a mile west of the Wantagh Parkway. Here it boasts three floors with more than 7,000 square feet of displays guaranteed to inspire customers’ ideas take shape. An enticing array of tiles, fixtures, cabinetry and so much more are all under one roof, thus offering customers the added convenience of providing one central source for all their home improvement needs.
Awards and Accolades
- Thanks to its successful track record, Alure has been a key partner with Owens Corning, the world’s largest manufacturer of building materials, and has repeatedly earned the Owens Corning Customer Service Excellence award.
- Alure has achieved national recognition as Remodeler of the Year by Professional Remodeler Magazine, and ranked #11 in the country by Qualified Remodeler Magazine for its consistent growth, superior customer service and continued leadership in this competitive industry.
- In 2013, Remodeling Magazine named Alure the #1 full service remodeler in the magazine’s annual list of the 550 best remodelers in the industry.
- Alure Kitchen & Bath designer Sherry Gossett was honored as the Silver Winner of Residential Kitchens for her Excellence in Design at the 2013 National Association of the Remodeling Industry’s NYC/LI chapter’s competition, which also awarded Alure Home Improvements the 2013 Contractor of the Year distinction—not bad for a company that began as a three-man operation hanging wallpaper in suburban Long Island in the 1940s and now has transformed thousands of people’s homes throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Hours of Operation
Alure is open seven days a week:
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Friday & Saturday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Visit Alure’s Long Island Showroom:
1999 Hempstead Turnpike
East Meadow, NY 11554