Alex Rodriguez is not even with the Yankees right now and he’s making news once again—and it has nothing to do with his path back to the majors as he rehabs from knee surgery.
Major League Baseball is investigating Rodriguez for participating in an illegal underground poker game that included some of Hollywood’s most famous celebrities.
“We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation,” MLB said in a statement. “As part of the investigation, the commissioner’s office will interview Mr. Rodriguez.”
The MLB investigation stems from a report by Star Magazine in June, when A-Rod was spotted with several celebrities playing the popular card game. His spokesman denied the report, according to the Associated Press.
An MLB executive told ESPN New York that the Yankees third-baseman had been warned about this before, and he could be suspended by the league.
“It’s like there’s something new with him every day and it’s impossible to keep up with it,” an MLB insider told ESPN.
The investigation was first reported by Radar Online who reported that cocaine was openly used during these poker games, and players involved were threatened by “thugs.”
A source told the website that Rodriguez gambled at least twice.
A pro poker player told Star that a fight almost broke out after a record label owner lost more than half a million dollars and refused to pay up.
Star reported that the poker games included Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPN “I don’t know anything about it.”
Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since July 14 after an MRI revealed the slugger was suffering from a slight meniscus tear in his right knee.
A-Rod was batting .295 with 13 home runs and 52 RBIs before joining the disabled list.