- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Huntington Station Man Arrested for Wrong-way DWI, Nearly Hitting Cops
An alleged drunken driver was arrested for nearly running over two Nassau County police officers while the suspect was speeding the wrong way on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow over the weekend, authorities said.
Tomas Menjivar drove westbound in the eastbound lanes of Route 24 near Merrick Avenue when he almost hit the cops who were investigating a prior crash at 6:20 a.m. Sunday, police said.
The officers jumped out of the way of the 25-year-old Huntington Station man’s Dodge, police said. Menjivar was stopped and found to be driving under the influence of alcohol, police said.
No injuries were reported and Menjivar’s vehicle was impounded.
Menjivar was charged with driving while intoxicated and reckless driving. He will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Hempstead.