- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Brentwood Man Torched Bed in Roomie Tiff, Cops Say
A Brentwood man has been accused of locking a his former roommate in a room of a Water Mill home and setting his bed on fire over the summer.
Southampton Town Police said Kehare Hawkins filled a shampoo bottle with a flamable liquid and lit on fire using some bandage wrappings at the house on Montauk Highway on the night of Aug. 10, 2012.
The 21-year-old suspect, who used to live in the house, “set a fire underneath his own bed, left the room, but then locked his roommate in the bedroom with the fire” following an argument with the victim, police said in a news release.
The victim was not injured, but the fire spread to the carpeting.
Hawkins was charged with arson. His bail was set at $25,000.
Police said he is not a suspect in other open arson investigations on the East End.