- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Freeport Teen 4th Charged in Gym ID Thefts
A fourth teenager has been accused of working with three others who authorities said broke into fitness club lockers to steal victims’ credit and bank account information across Long Island.
Suffolk County police Thursday arrested 17-year-old Kewon Brandon of Freeport on charges of unlawful possession of a skimming device, unlawful possession of personal identification information, assault and petit larceny.
Andre Clayton, the first of three 19-year-old suspects previously arrested in the same case, was also charged with additional counts of identity theft Friday.
Police said all four broke into lockers at various gyms, used a portable skimmer to steal victims’ credit and debit card information, photographed the victims’ driver’s licenses and then used the personal and account info to clone the credit and debit cards.
The teens then allegedly used the cloned cards to buy gift cards and other items at BJ’s Wholesale and Home Depot, police said. Suffolk police said the group is being investigated for identical thefts in Connecticut and New Jersey.
Clayton was released without bail after his initial arrest in the case in December. He and Brandon are expected to be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Central Islip on the latest charges along with their codefendants, Latique Oates, of Freeport, Rameez Senior, of St. Albans.