- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Man Sentenced for Killing North Bay Shore Woman, Tot
A 25-year-old Jamaican immigrant was sentenced Wednesday to 30 years to life in prison for killing his ex-girlfriend and her 2-year old son in the North Bay Shore apartment they shared.
Jerry A. Lewis had pleaded guilty at Suffolk County court in February to one count of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree murder.
Prosecutors said Lewis stabbed 21-year-old Shakeela Planter to death and then fatally beat her two year old son, Jaiden, on Dec. 18, 2011 because he suspected Planter of dating other men.
Lewis wrapped the tot’s body in plastic and placed his dead body in the freezer in Planter’s basement apartment on South Cardinal Court.
Lewis was arrested in Laurel, Maryland on Christmas Eve in 2011 when he turned himself in to police. He was later extradited back to Long Island.