- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
LIRR Train vs. Car Crash Leaves Driver Dead
A 63-year-old man whose car was struck by a Long Island Rail Road train east of the Brentwood station during the Friday evening rush hour commute later died of his injuries.
The westbound non-passenger train hit the victim’s car at the Islip Avenue crossing and pushed it down the tracks before coming to a rest at around 4 p.m. Friday, according to the LIRR.
The LIRR had suspended service in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma for about two hours while investigators were on the scene.
MTA Police are continuing the investigation into the cause of the crash. The victim, whose identity was not immediately available, later died at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore.