- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
10 Events to Start Summer on Long Island
Some may have been fooled by the rain this month, but Friday marks the first day of summer. Here are our picks for 10 events for a fun way to celebrate the longest day of the year:
Coney Island and Jones Beach: Empires by the Sea, presented by The Long Island Museum
June 14 through Dec. 29
$9 per person, $7 for seniors and $4 for students ages six to 17. Children under six and museum members are free.
200 Route 25A Stony Brook, 631-751-0066
Midsummer Weekend at the Old Westbury Gardens:
Midsummer Jazz, Friday, 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
$16, $14 for members. Advance tickets required. 71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury, 516-333-0048 Ext. 301
Atlantis Explorer Tour Boat
Weekdays at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., Weekends at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
Cruise: $18.50, children 2 and under: $5.
431 East Main St., Riverhead, 631-208-9200 ext. 106
Sunset Bootlegger Jazz Party Cruise, presented by Gatsby Fantasy Tours
Friday 7-10 p.m., $64 Per Person
Port Washington Town Dock, 347 Main St., Port Washington, 516-869-4351.
Free Juke Box Nite, presented by Four Doors Down Sports Bar
8 p.m. – midnight
9870 Main Rd., Mattituck, 631-298-8311.
Free Screening of Lincoln, presented by West Babylon Public Library
1-3 p.m., free. West Babylon Public Library, 211 Route 109, West Babylon, 631-669-5445.
Summer Concert Series ft. Vivian and The Merry Makers
7:30 p.m. Martha Clara Vineyards
$12.50 in advanced and $15 at the door
6025 Sound Ave., Riverhead, 631-298-0075 x101
artMOSPHERE 2 Art Exhibit with Live Music
La Notte Lounge, Free
15 New St., Huntington, 631-261-2941
Maria Regina School Family Carnival
5-10 p.m., free, Maria Regina School Parking Lot
4045 Jerusalem Ave., Seaford, 516-541-1229
Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre
7 p.m., free, Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, 516-572-0200