- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
4 DWI Crashes Over Labor Day Weekend on Long Island
Four people have been injured in as many alleged drunken-driving crashes on Long Island over the Labor Day weekend as of Sunday, including two cases on the East End that suspects walked away from unharmed.
Nassau County police arrested 25-year-old Elan McDonald of the Bronx for allegedly crossing into the opposite lane of traffic on Merrick Avenue in Westbury and striking a Jeep Cherokee head-on at 12:37 a.m. Saturday, authorities said.
The 42-year-old man driving the SUV, his 38-year-old passenger and a 22-year-old woman riding with McDonald were all hospitalized along with the suspect, who was charged with vehicular assault, driving while intoxicated and reckless driving.
Then at 8:24 p.m. Saturday, Southampton Town Police said 30-year-old Brian Mitchell of Floral Park crashed into a fire hydrant, bushes and a tree on Bellows Pond Road. He was also charged with DWI and traffic violations.
And shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday, 35-year-old Ayala Inocente of Riverhead was stopped for speeding and found to have crashed into a parked car and fled the scene in Riverside, Southampton police said. She was charged with DWI, leaving the scene of an accident and traffic violations.
Those cases followed a crash on Pulaski Road in Greenlawn on Friday night that left 52-year-old Karen Labarbera of East Northport critically injured after a DWI suspect crashed into her motorcycle, Suffolk County police said.
Connie O’Hara, 51, of Huntington, was charged with DWI in that case.