- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hicksville Explosion Leads to 3 Arrests
Three men have been arrested for causing an explosion in a Hicksville house where they treated tobacco with flammable acetone for use in hookah pipes over the weekend, Nassau County police said.
Officers had taken 38-year-old Dinesh Arora, who lives in the Miller Road home, at the scene immediately following the explosion and resulting small fire at 1:20 a.m. Sunday, police said.
He and his alleged accomplices were packaging the tobacco when the fire erupted. Hicksville Fire Department firefighters responded and extinguished the flames.
Arson/Bomb Squad detectives apprehended Tuesday two other suspects, 48-year-old Davinder Singh of Oakland Gardens and 63-year-old Surender Bhatty of Carpentersville, Ill., who fled the scene, police said.
All three were charged with reckless endangerment. Bhatty and Singh will additionally be arraigned on arson charges Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Bail for Arora was set at $5,000 bond or $2,500 cash. He is also due back in court Wednesday.