- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Medford Man Left Baby Home Alone, Cops Say
A Medford man was arrested for child endangerment after allegedly leaving his 13-month-old son alone in his apartment over the weekend, Suffolk County police said.
Officers responded to a 911 call reporting an infant crying at a house on Little Treasure Drive, where police said they forced their way inside when they realized the baby was alone in an empty basement apartment at 1:30 pm Sunday.
Officers found the boy in a crib in one of the bedrooms, comforted the child, checked his health and changed the baby’s soiled diaper, police said. A neighbor helped care for the baby until his mother responded and took custody of the child.
The boy’s father, 44-year-old Kelly Voss, who had been entrusted with the boy’s care during a scheduled weekend visitation, was taken into custody when he returned to the apartment 40 minutes after officers arrived, police said.
Voss was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. He will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Child Protective Services was notified.