- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Brentwood Man Charged With Fatal Hit-and-run
An accused hit-and-run driver was arrested after allegedly fleeing a crash that killed a 31-year-old pedestrian in Brentwood on Saturday night, Suffolk County police said.
Santos Amaya of Central Islip was walking across Islip Avenue when he was struck by a Toyota Corolla driven by Fredy Pavon, 47, of Brentwood, at 10 p.m., police said.
Amaya was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where he was pronounced dead.
Pavon was apprehended a few hours later after his damaged vehicle was located. He was charged with leaving the scene of an incident without reporting involving a fatality and will be arraigned Sunday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about the crash to contact them at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.