- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Melville Men Robbed 7 Banks in 5 Weeks, Cops Say
A pair of Melville men is accused of working together to rob or try to rob seven banks across Long Island over the past five weeks—allegedly robbing three in one day.
Nassau and Suffolk county police arrested 18-year-old Adam Baron and Jamie Ramirez, 25, on Wednesday evening outside of their Avalon Apartments home.
Police said Baron robbed a Bethpage Federal Credit Union in Westbury on Dec. 26, TD Bank in Rockville Centre on Jan. 13 and Chase Bank in Farmingdale on Jan. 28.
On Jan. 23, Baron and Ramirez allegedly robbed Chase Bank in Plainview, Chase Bank in Merrick and Roslyn Savings Bank in Merrick. In addition, the duo robbed a Chase Bank in North Bellmore on Jan. 17, police said.
In each case, the suspects allegedly handed a note demanding money to a teller. They sometimes threatened the use of a handgun, although no gun was seen in any other cases.
Baron was charged with five counts of robbery and Ramirez with two. Each was additionally charged with one count of attempted robbery.
They will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.