- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Cops: Parents Left Children Home Alone Without Food, Heat for 6 Days
Suffolk County police Wednesday arrested two parents who allegedly left their four kids, including a 4-year-old, home alone without food or heat for nearly a week while they disappeared to a nearby hotel, police said.
Tulio Ayala, 34, and Maria Ayala, 31, were charged with four counts of endangering the welfare of a minor for leaving their children unsupervised at their Central Islip home on Dow Street from Feb. 7 to Feb. 12, police said.
The absent parents were nabbed after concerned Central Islip Public Schools officials learned that the children—ages 4, 8, 13, and 15—were home alone without food or heat, police said.
Investigators later discovered that the couple was staying at a nearby hotel, police said.
They were both scheduled to be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Central Islip.
The children were released to a family member, police said.