- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Trio Nabbed for Halesite Armed Home Invasion
Three people have been accused of committing an armed home invasion in Halesite last week, one of nine similar Suffolk cases in a recent three-week span.
The trio broke into a New York Avenue apartment while armed with at least one gun, stole money from a victim inside and fled the scene at 11:50 p.m. Feb. 5, a Suffolk County police spokeswoman said.
Police arrested 27-year-old John Steele of Wyandanch on Sunday. His two alleged accomplices, 23-year-old Belinda Ortiz of Brentwood and 21-year-old Tasean Berry of Deer Park, were arrested on Monday.
All three were charged with burglary. Berry and Ortiz are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Bail for Steele was set at $500,000 bond or $250,000 cash. He is due back in court Thursday.
Of the nine armed Suffolk home invasions since Jan. 15, one left a 21-year-old Flanders man dead last month and another in Central Islip last week left two victims hospitalized after one was shot and the other was pistol-whipped.