- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
N. Merrick Mother and Son Arrested for Heroin
A mother and son from North Merrick are facing drug charges after police allegedly found heroin in their car Monday night, Nassau County police said.
Seventeen-year-old Jamie Burke and his 49-year-old mother, Denise Burke, were traveling in a 1999 Toyota Camry on Bellmore Avenue in their hometown just after 9 p.m. when the car was stopped for a traffic infraction, police said.
An investigation found that mother and son were allegedly in possession of eight envelopes of heroin, police said.
They were both charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance. Jamie Burke was also charged with operating a motor vehicle unlicensed driver and following to closely. They will be arraigned Tuesday at First District Court in Hempstead.