- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Hempstead Man Arrested for Slashing Another
A Hempstead man has been arrested for slashing another man in the face with a knife during an argument about phone use over the weekend, Nassau County police said.
Ernest Mitchell got into a fight with the 44-year-old victim at a house on Seitz Avenue when the altercation escalated and Mitchell attacked the victim with a knife shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, police said.
The 45-year-old man and the victim both fell down a flight of stairs during the struggle, police said.
Hempstead village police officers responded, took Mitchell into custody and recovered a folding knife at the scene, police said.
The victim and Mitchell were taken to area hospitals for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
Mitchell was charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon. His bail was set at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond. He is due back in court Wednesday.