- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Meadowbrook Parkway Crash Leaves 2 Dead, 1 Arrested
A North Fork man was arrested for reckless driving after he fatally struck two men who stopped to fix their car on the Meadowbrook State Parkway in Roosevelt on Monday afternoon, New York State police said.
Robert Beodeker, 50, of Aquebogue, was driving a GMC pick-up truck southbound at the Southern State Parkway interchange when he hit the men while they were standing near their disabled Nissan Maxima parked on the side of the road at 12:37 p.m., police said.
The victims, 76-year-old John Elder of Freeport and 65-year-old Edward Ross of North Bellmore, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Beodeker was charged with reckless driving and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. Additional charges are pending, police said. He will be arraigned Tuesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
The southbound lanes of the parkway were closed for several hours while investigators were on the scene.