- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Shirley Man Killed in Shootout With Police
Suffolk County police officers shot and killed a Shirley man that fired a shotgun at them after they responded to a neighbor’s report of yelling and gunshots fired at his home Friday night, authorities said.
The man, whose identity was not immediately available, allegedly shot at the officers when he came to the door armed with the gun as they walked toward the backyard of his Carlton Drive East home at 10:31 p.m.
The officers returned fire and took cover as the alleged shooter retreated into the house and returned outside minutes later and fired a rifle at officers in the street, police said.
Officers again returned fire and shot the gunman, who police said was wearing a helmet and a ballistic vest. He was pronounced dead at the scene after firing at least 15 rounds at the officers.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this incident to call them at 631-852-6392 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.