- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Up to 8 Inches of Snow Forecasted for Long Island
Maybe it’s time to start considering taking that long-awaited vacation early—and if you do, take us with you.
The winter of snow continues Saturday, forecasters said, with predictions for Long Island ranging from 2 to 8 inches.
The National Weather Service in Upton issued a winter storm warning for eastern Suffolk County from 11 a.m. to midnight, forecasting 4-8 inches and wind gusts of up to 35 mph.
Lighter snow accumulation is expected in Nassau County and western Suffolk, meteorologists said. A winter weather advisory was issued from 11 a.m. until midnight in those areas.
Two to 4 inches has been forecasted for Nassau, forecasters said, and western Suffolk can see 3 to 5 inches.
The storm will begin late this morning and continue through the day, the weather service said. The snow may briefly mix with rain during the storm, forecasters said.
The agency warned of “hazardous travel conditions” due to reduced visibilities and snow covered roads. Visibility can be one quarter to one half mile at times.
Sunday’s forecast calls for mostly sunny skies, but there is a chance of flurries in the late afternoon, early evening.
This latest snow event comes just two days after a nor’easter dumped more than a foot of snow on the Island.