People in Australia are wondering whether or not the rating for new film “Prometheus” was too moderate after a boy collapsed while watching it, reported Australia’s News Network.
“Prometheus” is Ridley Scott’s prequel to his 1979 hit “Alien” and the Internet Movie Data Base describes the movie as, “A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.”
But they leave out the part that might make some sick to their stomach.
In case you haven’t seen the movie yet here’s a little bit of a spoiler: the movie gets insanely gorey when Noomi Rapace’s character, Elizabeth, gives herself an emergency caesarean section to remove an alien from her womb.
We don’t know if that would make us collapse on the theater floor, but we certainly wouldn’t want to touch our popcorn for the rest of the night.
“Prometheus,” which stars Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce, was given a pretty strict rating of “R” in the US, which means people under 17 can’t see it without a parent. However, it was given an “M” rating in Australia, which allows youngsters to view the film without a guardian present.
Although the Australian Classification Board first gave “Prometheus” an MA15+ rating, which requires people under the age of 15 to have a guardian present, they later changed it so more kids would be able to go to the flick, according to Australia’s News Network.
The Australian boy who had the seizure was taken to Cooma District Hospital and was in stable condition as of Monday, the news site said.
Joseph Sims, a filmmaker from Sydney who has seen “Prometheus,” said that people suffered from similar seizures when they saw “Pulp Fiction” in 1994.
“Even though that was a higher rated movie, people kept passing out in the scene when John Travolta delivers the adrenalin shot to Uma Thurman’s heart,” he said.
“There’s a famous story where Quentin Tarantino was at a New York theatre presenting the film and someone had a seizure during that scene.”