- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
3rd Suspect Nabbed in New Cassel Gang Assault
Nassau County police say they have apprehended the third suspect wanted for attacking two men in New Cassel earlier this month.
Douglas Santamaria was arrested Monday outside his New Cassel home and charged with assault and gang assault.
Police said the 17-year-old and two other previously apprehended suspects waited for the victims, ages 21 and 22, outside a home on Roman Avenue while armed with a baseball bat, machete and knife in the early morning hours of Dec. 1.
The suspects knocked one victim to the ground with the baseball bat and the other victim was attacked with the machete, police said.
One victim suffered contusions and abrasions and refused medical treatment at the scene. The other was taken to a local hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for severe lacerations to the hand and forearm and a stab wound to the back.
The other two suspects, 17-year-old Jose Hernandez of Westbury and 19-year-old Jose Clavel of New Cassel, are facing the same charges and are being held on bail.
Santamaria will be arraigned Tuesday in First District Court in Hempstead.