Brock Lesnar’s career in the UFC is over after the former pro wrestler, turned mixed martial arts fighter retired after a first-round loss Friday night to Alistair Overeem.
After he lost to his opponent in UFC 141 in their heavyweight fight, Lesnar said, “This is the last time you’ll see me in the octagon.”
Lesnar was a popular WWE wrestler when he decided to test out his fighting ability in mixed martial arts, a sport that has been growing in popularity in recent years. And the bulking fighter had some success early on in his UFC career. Three years ago he defeated Randy Couture to win the heavyweight title. Lesnar defended his title twice before he lost the heavyweight crown last year.
Lesnar hasn’t seen much time in the ring in the last couple of years due to a lower-intestinal ailment that limited his ability to fight in the octagon.
The 34-year-old’s retirement announcement didn’t come as much as a surprise to UFC President Dana White than it did to fans in attendance and other UFC followers. “I had no idea he would do that, (but) am I surprised? No,” White said, according to the Associated Press. “Brock Lesnar has made a lot of money in his career and has achieved a lot of things…He brought a lot of excitement to the heavyweight division. What he accomplished in a short amount of time is amazing, but I get it. It doesn’t shock me.”
Said Lesnar: “I promised my wife and my kids if I won this fight, I would get a title shot, and that would be my last fight.”
But it didn’t work out that way after a kick from Overeem sent him to the ground and into retirement.
-With Associated Press