A 46-year-old ex-Freeport middle school principal has admitted to having sexual contact with a 16-year-old boy he met online and failing to disclose his criminal history when he applied for that job.

John O’Mard pleaded guilty Friday at Nassau County court to criminal sexual act, offering a false instrument for filing, perjury and official misconduct.

“Instead of being a role model to his students, this defendant committed crimes against a young person and betrayed the trust placed in him as principal of his school,” District Attorney Kathleen Rice said. “The parents, teachers, students and taxpayers of this school district deserved far better.”

Prosecutors said O’Mard met the teen through Grindr, smartphone dating application for men, and took the victim to his Freeport home, where they engaged in oral and anal sexual conduct without the boy’s consent on Sept. 22, 2012.

He had been the principal of the John W. Dodd Middle School from Sept. 1, 2003, and the School Board fired him on April 25, 2013, a month after his arrest.

During the investigation, authorities found that a decade prior to those crimes, O’Mard denied having a felony and misdemeanor conviction when he applied for certifications with the New York State Education Department in September 2004.

Judge Angelo Delligatti is expected to sentence O’Mard to 60 days in jail and 10 years of probation on Feb. 6. He will also be required to register as a sex offender.

Comments
Previous article5 Thanksgiving Events on Long Island This Weekend
Next articleBill Cosby: Why Did We Look The Other Way?
Timothy Bolger is the Editor in Chief of the Long Island Press who’s been working to uncover unreported stories since shortly after it launched in 2003. When he’s not editing, getting hassled by The Man or fielding cold calls to the newsroom, he covers crime, general interest and political news in addition to reporting longer, sometimes investigative features. He won’t be happy until everyone is as pissed off as he is about how screwed up Lawn Guyland is.