Lido Beach Man Gets 25 Years to Life in Murder of Oceanside Teen

oceanside teen
Left: Tyler Flach; Right: Khaseen Morris
Handout photos

Lido Beach Man Gets 25 Years to Life in Murder of Oceanside Teen

A Lido Beach man has been sentenced to 25 years to life for the stabbing death of Oceanside teenager Khaseen Morris in September 2019, the Nassau County District Attorney’s office announced.

Tyler Flach, 21, was convicted of second-degree murder, first-degree gang assault, third-degree assault, and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon on Nov. 1, 2022. One of those charges was for breaking the arm of another teen, according to the DA’s office.

“Khaseen Morris was intelligent, friendly and had a smile that could light up a room,” DA Anne Donnelly said. “The young man was only 16 years of age and had recently transferred to a new high school, where he was making friends.”

On Sept. 16, 2019, at about 3:45 p.m., Flach and a group of seven others met Morris, an Oceanside High School student, at a strip mall on Brower Avenue. Flach and the other defendants attacked Morris and a few of his friends. Morris had only been attending Oceanside High School for 10 days before the incident.

The fight reportedly had been planned because Flach was angry that Morris walked a girl home from a party one night. During the brawl, Flach stabbed Morris in the chest, and his heart stopped beating, according to the district attorney’s office.

The Oceanside teen was taken to Mount Sinai South Nassau and revived; however, he died later that night. Videos of the altercation surfaced on social media, and Flach surrendered to police on Sept. 18, 2019. 

“This was an incredibly senseless murder and I thank our prosecutors, the Nassau County Police Department detectives and the jurors who sat on this trial, for carefully reviewing the evidence,” Donnelly said. “We continue to stand with Khaseen’s family, friends, and community as they mourn his tragic loss.” 

On Feb. 23, co-defendant Haakim Mechan was sentenced to three years in prison with three years of post-release supervision after pleading guilty to second-degree attempted gang assault.

Five other co-defendants in the case have pleaded guilty to various charges.