Man Convicted in North Bellmore Home Invasion

A 30-year-old Brooklyn man was convicted Friday for his role in a North Bellmore home invasion in which four residents were tied up during the early morning burglary.

A Nassau County jury convicted Carlos Segura on five counts of robbery, four counts of burglary, robbery, two counts of assault, three counts of unlawful imprisonment and escape. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

“This was a savage attack against a group of people who barely had enough time for breakfast before being subjected to such violence,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in a statement. “Thanks to the excellent work of members of the NCPD and members of my office, however, this defendant will spend a very long time behind bars.”

The conviction stems from a Sept. 19, 2011 home invasion that authorities said involved three other men who are all awaiting trial.

Prosecutors said Segura and two of the men—Gustavo Arroyo and Eduardo Cruz—were able to enter the home through an unlocked front door. Cruz allegedly beat a female resident before calling for Segura and Arroyo to follow him inside, prosecutors said. Segura, armed with a gun, and Cruz and Arroyo allegedly armed with knives, first tied up three residents and then a fourth person who lived in the basement, authorities said.

The men searched the house for money as the residents were tied up, officials said.

During the course of the robbery, prosecutors said, a male resident returned home and tried to enter the house but was grabbed by Arroyo. He was able to break free and ran into the street screaming for help. That’s when the three men, including, Segura, fled the house and got inside a waiting car driven by Dario Guerrero.

A Nassau police officer stopped the car, ordered all four men out and tried to arrest Cruz, who allegedly resisted arrest and refused to be handcuffed, prosecutors said. Segura and Guerrero jumped back in the car and allegedly drove straight at the officer, who fired at the car, striking Guerrero in the leg, officials said. Arroyo tried to flee on foot but was arrested a short time later along with Cruz, officials said.

Guerrero was arrested after a traffic stop and Segura was arrested in a cab heading back to Brooklyn, prosecutors said.

Segura will be sentenced May 7.

More from our Sister Sites