Merrick Church Fire Ignited by Lit Candle, Cops Say

Dozens of firefighters from eight different fire departments responded to blaze in Merrick that ripped through a Greek Orthodox Church Friday night, Nassau County police said.

Police received a call around 9:25 p.m. regarding a “serious fire” at St. Demetrious Greek Orthodox Church on Hewlett Avenue, police said in a news release.

More than 75 firefighters responded to the blaze, including those from Merrick, North Merrick, Bellmore, North Bellmore, Seaford, Freeport, Baldwin and South Hempstead, police said. The Nassau County Fire Marshall was also at the scene.

Authorities said a lit candle from inside the church ignited the fire. Investigators have already ruled out foul play.

One Merrick fireman was transported to a local hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.