A homeless man has been arrested for allegedly stabbing and critically wounding another last week following a dispute in the wooded encampment in Freeport where they live, New York State police said.

Ruben Ballo-Javier was charged Saturday with second-degree attempted murder.

Police said the 31-year-old suspect stabbed Narcisco Cruz Vasquez, 44, five times in the chest in a homeless encampment in woodlands just north of Sunrise Highway and just west of Meadowbrook State Parkway shortly after 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 23.

The victim was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he is being treated for stab wounds to the center of his chest and punctures to both lungs.

Ballo-Javier was ordered held without bail and is due back in Nassau County court Tuesday.

Three other homeless men have died in the same stretch of woods over the past six years, including one who was murdered by another homeless man.

Troopers ask anyone with information on this case to call them at 631-756-3300. All calls will be kept confidential.

Comments