Federal authorities have come across a possible terror threat involving the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
“In this instance, it’s accurate that there is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information,” the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement, reported ABC. “We have taken, and will continue to take all steps necessary to mitigate any threats that arise. We continue to ask the American people to remain vigilant as we head into the weekend.”
According to a Fox report:
“The threat would target New York City or Washington, D.C., and authorities have obtained what they believe is information on possible suspects tied to central Al Qaeda.”
“According to a senior U.S. official with knowledge of the threat, “People are aggressively pursuing leads,” and it is “specific enough to elicit worry.” Another senior U.S. official stressed the threat is still “unconfirmed” so it is being chased down and investigated.”
According to MSNBC, an administration official told NBC News the threat “so far” was a 5 to 6 on a scale of 10 and WNBC learned that intelligence from overseas indicates limited threat information about car bombs as well as bridges and tunnels.
Reportedly, President Obama has already been made aware of the news.
In May, when Osama bin Laden was killed, documents were found in his compound requesting that his followers carry out another September 11 attack.