Quantcast

Buckyballs Magnets Swallowed by 3-Year-Old Girl

Buckyballs
Buckyballs (Photo: getbuckyballs.com)
Buckyballs
Buckyballs (Photo: getbuckyballs.com)

The parents of a 3-year-old girl had a scare after their daughter swallowed 37 “Buckyballs,” which was discovered after the girl complained to her parents of flu-like symptoms, according to reports.

A spokeswoman for Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland told KGW in Oregon that the girl’s parents said she was complaining about feeling ill and they took her to get checked out.

Doctors took an X-ray and found the balls inside her stomach. She was treated and is expected to make a full recovery, the report said. The girl was in the hospital since Feb. 21, KGW reported.

The company released a statement following the incident saying they were “saddened” to learn that the child swallowed the “high-powered magnets” and are relieved to learn that she is doing fine after the scare.

“This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults,” Buckyballs said in a statement released on its website getbuckyballs.com. “They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.”

The website describes the balls as “powerful rare Earth magnets” that can be shaped and molded in “unlimited ways,” and are considered desktop toys that are not meant for children.

A message on the homepage reads a warning that says “keep away from children.”

Another message warns that “swallowed magnets can can stick to intestines causing serious injury or death.”

More from our Sister Sites