1. READ DAVID MCCULLOUGH’S “YOU’RE NOT SPECIAL”COMMENCEMENT SPEECH: Yeah, we know. You didn’t even want to hear your own commencement speech and god forbid you get invited to yet another high school graduation ceremony where you get stuck baking on the bleachers at high noon. But, trust us, this one is worth a read. Over the weekend, a Massachusetts high school English teacher seriously took the class of 2012 to school and his real-world reality check went viral. And it’s awesome.
2. SEE IF YOU RECOGNIZE UNIDENTIFIED CIVIL WAR PHOTOS: The names of the two little girls are an enduring mystery, their images found among crumpled bodies on Civil War battlefields. Each is posed primly on chairs, ringlets cascading past the rouged cheeks of one, the other dressed in a frilly hoop dress. But no one knows who they are. The Museum of the Confederacy has released the unidentified images of the two girls on the remote chance someone might recognize a familial resemblance or make a connection to a battlefield where they were found. Check them out at www.moc.org.
3. WATCH “CDC ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE STATEMENT” VIDEO ON COLBERTNATION.COM: With all this talk about a zombie apocalypse headed our way, it’s important that we, as journalists, leave no stone unturned and Stephen Colbert is carrying the torch. Listen as our fearless leader questions the CDC’s flip-flopping stance on zombies: First they release the Zombie Preparedness Guide and now they deny that zombies don’t even exist? There can be only one reasonable explanation—the CDC has been taken over by zombies, too!
4. GIVE BLOOD, GET METS TIX: Long Island hospitals require almost 800 pints of blood per day to meet routine needs, and our region also suffers from a shortage of local blood donors. A single donation has the potential to help three people. And if you donate at the Bellport Community Center on June 28, you’ll be rewarded with two free Mets tickets. To schedule an appointment call Tim at 631-852-1300. Your neighbors need you and, quite frankly, the Mets could use all the support they can get.
5. GET YOUR STAR WARS ON AT THE CRADLE: Storm Troopers, Clone Troopers, Bounty Hunters and Sith Lords. Rebel Pilots, Troopers, Jedi Warriors, Princesses and Wookiees, oh my! Two of the most popular Star Wars costuming organizations, the 501st Legion’s Empire City Garrison and the Rebel Legion’s Echo Base will invade the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City June 16. Members of both groups will roam the museum to take pictures with museum visitors and cause general mayhem throughout the Cradle.
6. CELEBRATE THE SUMMER SOLSTICE: “In two weeks it’ll be the longest day in the year. Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it.” Don’t be like The Great Gatsby’s Daisy Buchanan and miss the longest day of the year. This year it’s on June 20 and marks the official start of summer.
7. RECYCLE YOUR PLASTIC POTS @ HICKS: After you finish your summer planting, you’re most likely going to be stuck with a mountain of plastic cell packs, trays and pots that don’t need to end up in the trash. Through July 15 Hicks Nurseries in Westbury is encouraging all Long Island home gardeners to bring in their gardening plastics to be recycled. Just drop ‘em off!
8. SEARCH “AIR YEEZYS” ON EBAY, THEN SELL YOURS: Yes those are sneakers designed by Kanye West and yes, they are selling for more than you paid for your first car. While many people waited on line to get their $200+ sneakers then resell them for a quick profit, others just got lucky. “Got them as soon as they came out, they’re ugly so ill sell them and see what happens,” posted one seller. What happened is this dude’s already $600 richer and he’s still got half a day left on his auction.
9. GET MARVEL V.S. CAPCOM 2 ON YOUR IPHONE: For a while, Marvel VS Capcom 2 was a highly coveted game. A brand crossing, top tier fighting game that was generally hard to find, it was re released digitally in 2009 via the PlayStation and Xbox Live networks. On April 25, the game will be released to an even wider audience as it becomes available on iPhones and iPod Touches. The game will maintain its full character roster and tag team gameplay as it is formatted for iOS.
10. HUG YOUR FATHER! Father’s Day is June 17—don’t forget!