Adrian Peterson Responds to Arrest on Twitter

Minnesota Vikings NFL football running back Adrian Peterson talks about his rehab following surgery for a torn ACL suffered last season, as he addressed reporters during minicamp Wednesday, June 20, 2012, in Eden Prairie, Minn. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Adrian Peterson is finally talking, we mean tweeting, one day after he was arrested inside a Houston nightclub and charged with resisting arrest.

Apparently, the star running back thinks the best way to defend himself is to quote Winston Churchill. (Who wouldn’t?)

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on,” Peterson tweeted Sunday, adding the initials “WC.”

He then unleashed another message on the social media site, which looked to be directed at his supporters.

“Thank you for waiting for the facts,” he said. “Truth will surface.”

Peterson is right; the truth will surface sometime soon. But since a high-profile athlete was arrested on charges of resting arrest people are starting to get antsy as they wait for details to emerge.

All we know (officially) now is that Peterson was at a downtown nightclub early Saturday morning when an off-duty police officer working security told Peterson and his group of family and friends to leave because the club was closing, a Houston Police Department spokesperson told The Associated Press.

The officer left to deal with other clubgoers to remind them that the club was closing. Before doing that, the officer did identify himself as a police officer, the spokesperson said.

When the off-duty cop approached the running back again, Peterson allegedly pushed him in the shoulder, police said. That’s when the officer told Peterson he was under arrest.

When he told the rehabbing Vikings player to put his hands behind his back, Peterson allegedly pulled away, police said, and “assumed an aggressive stance.” It took three off-duty officers to arrest Peterson, the spokesperson said.

The team released a statement to multiple media outlets Saturday, saying it is “aware of the situation and are gathering more information.”

Peterson was released from jail on $1,000 bond.

The incident was reportedly captured on surveillance video. So, yeah, the truth should come out.

-With Associated Press