Layer up, Long Island—it’s going to be another cold, blustery day.
The arctic blast that descended on LI this week isn’t going away anytime soon. In fact, it appears hell bent on hanging around for a few days. Sorry, folks.
Forecasters predicted mostly sunny skies for Wednesday with the mercury reaching a high of 25. The wind chill, however, will make it feel like 5 to 10 degrees. And it’s going to get even colder when the sun goes down.
The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill advisory for both Nassau and Suffolk counties from 7 p.m. Wednesday to 8 a.m. Thursday.
Meteorologists at the NWS’ Upton office warned it will be dangerously cold outside, with wind chills coming in as low as 15 degrees below zero.
“The frigid conditions will be dangerous to those venturing outside,” the agency said in a statement on its website. “Prolonged exposure may cause frostbite.”
Subzero temperatures could also lead to hypothermia if the right precautions aren’t taken, the agency said.
Strong wind gusts are expected throughout the day, potentially topping out at 37 mph, forecasters said.
A reprieve from the cold won’t come for several days.
The forecast for Thursday calls for a high of 19 during the day, with wind chill values potentially dropping to 10 degrees below zero.
The mercury will rise slightly above freezing Friday and then plummet again overnight and remain below freezing throughout the day Saturday.
As of now, forecasters are looking to Monday as the day when temperatures will once again hit 40.
Until then, bundle up.
The Town of Hempstead has opened up 16 warming centers for residents looking to escape the cold. They will be open from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Wednesday-Friday.
Below is the list of warming centers:
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
- Cedarhurst Seniors in the Park, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst (open until 4:30 p.m.)
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
- Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Avenue, Oceanside
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
- Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
- Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
The Hempstead Senior Center, 260 Clinton Street, Hempstead will also be open Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.