The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended that two Long Island homes — one in East Hampton and one in Wantagh — be added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced on Friday.
The Elaine de Kooning House and Studio, located at 55 Alewive Brook Rd. in East Hampton, was nominated as a locally significant place, according to the nomination paperwork, as de Kooning was a prominent abstract expressionist artist who lived and worked for 14 years, until she died in 1989.
“Along with Perle Fine and Lee Krasner, Elaine is considered to be among the ‘first generation’ of female Abstract Expressionist painters, as well as a member of the New York School in conjunction with famous male contemporaries, such as her husband Willem de Kooning and fellow artists Mark Rothko, Franz Kline, and Jackson Pollack,” it states.
Being listed on the state and national registers can help owners revitalize properties, as designated properties are eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
Elaine de Kooning purchased the property in Northwest Woods in 1975 and added the studio three years later (Though she reconciled with Willem de Kooning that year after a long separation, he continued to maintain his own home in Springs).
The John Jackson II House, located at 1419 Wantagh Ave., was nominated for the state and national registers for its rare architecture and connection to the Jacksons, an early, prominent family in Wantagh.
John Jackson, who built the original section of the house around 1710, was the grandson of Robert Jackson, founder of the Town of Hempstead.
“Originally one of several Jackson houses built along both sides of Wantagh (formerly Jerusalem) Avenue, the John Jackson II House is only one of two such historic houses standing today,” the nomination paperwork states. “The eighteenth and nineteenth-century Samuel & Elbert Jackson House (NR listed, 2006) is located nearby at 1542 Wantagh Ave.”
The Jackson family, who were abolitionist Quakers, helped establish a nearby community for free African Americans. The family expanded the house in the Greek Revival style and owned it until 1899.