Quantcast

Something For The Ladies

31beer_girlbeer2.1
Carlsberg’s new copenhagen is aesthetically designed to appeal to women as much as men.
31beer girlbeer2.1
Carlsberg’s new copenhagen is aesthetically designed to appeal to women as much as men.

Beer isn’t just for the boys.

In most beer commercials, women are treated as props: hanging around bars or in bikinis, waiting to be impressed by the suds-guzzling fellas on the screen. The message couldn’t be clearer: The target audience for these brews is men.

But the paradigm is shifting—and today, beer isn’t just for the boys, at least in the eyes of two new brewers. After a century of women fighting to be treated as equals on the ballot, in the boardroom and by beer advertisers, two new beers have popped up to give the ladies a little more love.

Chick Beer in particular really gives man-targeting beer companies a taste of their own medicine. “Finally, a beer just for women,” reads the Chick Beer website.

Shazz Lewis, founder of Chick Brewing Co., set out to establish a brew that appeals strictly to women. After all, beer is a business and Lewis believes that it’s simply a “business deal” when brewers and advertisers target men, since they make up 75 percent of the market. Earlier this year, Lewis introduced Chick Beer for the other 25 percent. The beer comes as a light American lager described as “soft” and “smooth.”

It’s low in carbs—3.5 carbs per bottle—and under 100 calories. The beer designed for a woman looks like one too: The design reflects the shape of a woman in a black dress. And not without accessory, the six-pack is designed to look like one is carrying a stylish purse. Cute, low in carbs and also charitable—Chick Beer donates five percent of all profits to charities that empower women.

This week the very first truckload of Chick Beer made its way from Wisconsin to Maryland. After that, Lewis says Chick Beer will expand into other markets.

And then there’s the new gender-neutral beer, Carlsberg’s Copenhagen. The new beer from Carlsberg was just introduced this year and aims to appeal to both sexes. The light drink was inspired by the international city of Copenhagen where fashion and design come to mind.

“Copenhagen is intended for modern women and men, who appreciate a refreshing taste delivered in a stylish design,” Carlsberg said in a statement.

The beer aims to offer a new generation of drinkers the “full package” that includes design, taste and quality. Copenhagen is truly stylish with a bottle and label inspired by Danish design and a taste that gives white wine and champagne a run for their money. The beer has an alcohol volume of 4.5 percent and boasts a “balanced taste” and “no bitter aftertaste.”

“We can see that there are a number of consumers, especially women, who are very aware of design when they choose beverage products,” said Jeanette Elgaard Carlsson, International Innovation Director at Carlsberg in a statement. “There may be situations where they are standing in a bar and want their drinks to match their style. In this case, they may well reject a beer if the design does not appeal to them.”

Copenhagen will be available in Northern & Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia in the coming months with very limited sales in the U.S.

Of course, if the trend gains momentum, maybe we’ll see other beverage makers expanding their demographics—next up, maybe, Cosmopolitans for men?

More from our Sister Sites