1. MEET VINNY FROM JERSEY SHORE: Vinny is usually the voice of reason and the brains—AKA the normal one—on Jersey Shore, that is if you too consider your goal in life to have sex with two lesbians in one night normal. Meet the man who lived the dream as he discusses his anxiety issues and his latest book, Control the Crazy, at the Book Revue April 27 at 7 p.m. If you don’t have anxiety, no worries, we’re sure he’ll answer all your GTL questions, offer up a fist pump and most likely let you squeeze his buns, too.
2. GET A FREE JR. CONE: Carvels across Long Island are giving away free Junior Soft Serve Cones on April 26 from 3-7 p.m. in celebration of their grand re-opening. What does that mean? Employees will wear retro-inspired uniforms and whip up a brand spankin’ new bonnet—one of the first-time caramel, cotton candy, peanut butter and cake mix flavors or the standard chocolate—and unveil a new look and a new menu. While you’re there, try the Girl Scout Cookie Sundae Dashers in Samoa, Tagalong and Thin Mint. If only this place were open for breakfast…
3. DOWNLOAD THE BEST OF LONG ISLAND APP: Okay, so we’re tooting our own horn a bit here, but if you have a horn worth tooting, shouldn’t it be tooted? Let us rephrase. The Best of Long Island app, the culmination of all your votes for everything from the Best Lobster Roll to the Best Car Wash on Long Island, all wrapped up in one little app. Yeah, you’re welcome.
4. DANCE AROUND THE MAY POLE IN CENTRAL PARK: Forget about the real housewives of New York City—they’re scary and dangerous—party with the real witches of NYC instead. They’re a lot more fun. The annual Beltane Celebration kicks off the lusty month of May on Central Park’s Great Hill April 29 from 2-5 p.m. Beltane, one of the most important festivals of the pagan year, is a celebration of creation, nature and sensuality.
5. GOOGLE “LADY GAGA SOUTH KOREA”: Not only does the Westboro Baptist Church—and reportedly God himself—hate Lady Gaga, but now the Korean Gender Equality Ministry has declared Gaga “inappropriate”, saying she promotes pornography and homosexuality. Civic groups are hanging defaced Gaga banners and praying for the cancellation of her concert, which has already been banned for all Koreans under the age of 18. Yes, this is 2012. And yes, the photos are nothing short of fantastic.
6. BUY TICKETS FOR THE AVENGERS: Marvel’s superhero team up movie, The Avengers, is just days away from its U.S. release on May 4, and it already has done the unthinkable. Fandango says the flick has ousted The Dark Knight Rises as the most highly anticipated film of 2012. While early buzz is very strong, Marvel continues to whet appetites with new clips. Many early tracking reports predict a giant opening weekend gross so get your tickets early, watch new clips (at marvel.com), and wait for the fan frenzy that is about to ensue.
7. ATTEND THE 2012 BELMONT SEASON OPENER: Belmont Park kicks off another season of thoroughbred racing, live bands, Family Fun Sundays, a trio of Party at the Park Fridays and much more on April 27. For dining information and reservations call 888-516-NYRA or download the OpenTable app to instantly reserve a table and view availability in real-time. And let the games begin…
8. TOUR CITI FIELD BALL PARK: The home of the NY Mets is offering fans a walkthrough of the park, through April 29. The guided tour will show guests through the Clubhouse, field and dugout, production areas, press boxes, suite levels, and the Hall of Fame and Museum. You may even get to rub elbows with Mr. Met, himself.
9. LISTEN TO GALAKTIKON: Brendon Small is one of the most unheard famous names, responsible for Home Movies and Metalocalypse on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim block of mature cartoons. Now, Small is stepping out on his own, releasing his first studio album, Galaktikon, which he describes as similar to Deathklok but with more rock elements and vocal melody, on April 29.
10. FIRE UP THE GRILL: May is not only National Hamburger Month, but National BBQ Month. Whether you invite family and friends over for a springtime feast, or head to your nearest BBQ restaurant, May is the month to do it. Health conscious? Don’t worry, May is also National Salad Month.