13. The Flesh Eaters (1964)
An actress and her assistant survive a plane crash and become deserted on an island with their pilot. Survival mode comes with a twist, as they do their best to ward off flesh-eating marine life, put there by an evil Nazi scientist. Set in Rhode Island, the movie was filmed on LI.
12. Silent Night, Bloody Night (1972)
A man inherits a New England mansion that used to be an insane asylum, his family moves in and everyone dies on Christmas Eve. Filmed at Butler mansion in Mill Neck. Alternate titles: Death House and Night Of The Dark Full Moon.
11. Madman (1981)
Not long after Friday The 13th debuted, this slasher flick followed a similar theme of a serial killer offing teens at a summer camp. Shot at Southampton’s Fish Cove Inn.
10. Poltergeist (1982)Among the most popular horror movies of all time, it follows a family’s discovery that their home is haunted by the ghosts of the graveyard the house is built on. This one isn’t filmed on Long Island, but is reportedly inspired by events that are said to have occurred in Seaford. It was remade in 2015.
9. Vampire’s Embrace (1991)
A classic love story of a man searching for another shot at love, and falls for the woman of his dreams. There’s only one problem, she’s actually a 200-year-old vampire. Aerial shots of Huntington were used in the film.
8. Wolf (1994)
A publisher in a slump gets bitten by a wolf, gets back on top, but slowly turns into a werewolf in this romantic horror starring Jack Nicholson. The film was partly shot in Old Westbury.
7. 5 Dead on Crimson Canvas (1996)
A brother investigating the murder of his death-obsessed artist brother uncovers a dark secret. Shot in Glen Cove.
6. Final Destination (2000)
A teen and his friends cheat death by getting off a plane before it explodes on takeoff. But death then stalks them one by one. The plane scene was shot on Long Island. The franchise is now up to part 7.
5. Infested (2002)Five childhood friends are reunited at their favorite vacation home. What they thought was going to be a relaxing reunion, soon turns into their worst nightmare. Mutant killer flies have taken over their beloved vacation home, and are out for blood. The movie was shot on the North Fork.
4. Malevolence (2003)A kidnapping victim who witnessed unspeakable crimes at the hands of a madman is discovered years later. This indie hit that became a series was supposed to be shot on Long Island, but the original farmhouse located was foreclosed on.
3. Witchmaster General (2009)While most hit men work for money, this one takes the souls of those that hire him. Shot on Long Island.
2. Sinister (2012)When a true crime writer researching his next book finds old home movies of a family’s murder, he unleashes a demon. The film was partly shot in Sands Point and Muttontown. The movie led to a sequel, but an anticipated part three was scrapped.
- The Amityville HorrorThe tagline “Based on a true story” is widely disputed but spawned series of more than 20 horror movies remade every few years ever since that phrase appeared on the cover of the original book of the same name in 1977. It easily ranks as LI’s most infamous horror flick.
-With Christa Ganz