A Queens man who killed a 47-year-old taxi cab driver in a Franklin Square hit-and-run crash last year admitted to the crime on Wednesday, the day his trial was set to begin.

Duke Obule pleaded guilty at Nassau County court to second-degree manslaughter, assault, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without a license.

“Duke Obule’s outrageous conduct, driving his BMW at more than 100 miles per hour, cost an innocent man his life,” Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said.

Prosecutors said the 24-year-old man was speeding eastbound on Hempstead Turnpike with a 20-year old woman in the front seat after leaving a hookah lounge in Farmingdale when he crashed into a taxi cab at the corner of Lincoln Road, killing the cabbie, Paul Mitacek, of Elmont, at 4:16 a.m. on April 23, 2016.

The victim, who was a father of three, was pronounced dead at the scene. Obule ran from the scene, abandoning his passenger who was not able to move because of her injuries, but he was apprehended nearby, authorities said.

Obule faces up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced by Judge Christopher Quinn.

Comments
Previous articleLong Island Press Wins 10 Press Club of Long Island Awards
Next articleLong Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2017
Timothy Bolger is the Editor in Chief of the Long Island Press who’s been working to uncover unreported stories since shortly after it launched in 2003. When he’s not editing, getting hassled by The Man or fielding cold calls to the newsroom, he covers crime, general interest and political news in addition to reporting longer, sometimes investigative features. He won’t be happy until everyone is as pissed off as he is about how screwed up Lawn Guyland is.