This flavor combination is what my husband dreams about, which makes it the perfect recipe to share this month since both his birthday and Father’s Day fall in June!
Why is it his favorite? Let’s start with the crust, made from peanut butter cookie sandwiches, salty peanuts and melted butter. It supplies the perfect crunchy vessel for your filling and carries the peanut butter flavor throughout the pie. Then the filling, which features creamy peanut butter and cream cheese, is light, airy and a wonderful contrast to the sliced bananas and crunchy crust.
The pie is dolloped with a vanilla whipped topping and chopped peanuts for a beautiful finish that won’t last long, because you will want to dive right in. Enjoy!
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
1 16-ounce package peanut butter sandwich cookies such as Nutter Butter, plus a few crushed for garnish
1⁄2 cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 medium bananas
VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
1 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Process the cookies and peanuts in a food processor until finely chopped, about 1 minute. Stir together the cookie mixture and melted butter. Press the crumb mixture on the bottom, up the sides, and onto the lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, peanut butter, and 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the remaining heavy cream in a bowl, and add the vanilla. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold one-third of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, then gently fold the remaining whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.
- Slice the bananas, and place in an even layer on the crust. Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly over the bananas.
- Make the Vanilla Whipped Cream Topping: Beat the heavy cream and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium high, and gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. (Do not overbeat.)
- Dollop the topping over the peanut butter mixture. Chill for 2 hours. Garnish with the chopped peanuts and crushed cookies, if desired.
Siri Daly is a Today show tastemaker and author of Siriously Delicious: 100 Nutritious (and Not So Nutritious) Simple Recipes for the Real Home Cook.
Excerpted from Siriously Delicious by Siri Daly. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.